AFL Victoria is pleased to announce the VFLW fixture for season 2020 kicking-off on Saturday 9th May.
12 clubs will compete across a total of 84 matches across Victoria and will showcase the next wave of women’s talent.
The VFLW competition was the dominant feeder of talent at the 2019 NAB AFL Women’s Draft. Almost 25% of the 102 players drafted were VFLW-listed players – an impressive group headlined by Top 10 pick Ellie Gavalas from the Western Bulldogs VFLW.
In addition to these draftees, 83% of Victorian players drafted from NAB League to the AFLW competition played at least one VFLW game last year.
AFL Head of Talent Pathways and State League Competitions Tristan Salter said the fixture strikes the right balance between showcasing the talent and standard of the league, while maintaining the strong community connection which makes the competition so unique.
“The quality and standard of the VFLW Competition continues to elevate each year. 2019 saw strong results at the AFLW Draft, which was a clear outcome and result of the work of our VFLW Clubs and their staff,” Mr Salter said.
“The 2020 fixture will allow great exposure for the next wave of talent and will provide fans across Victoria the opportunity to get close to the action.”
The success of the double-headers with VFL matches in 2019, sees an increase to 34 games in 2020 including the Queen’s Birthday between the Casey Demons and Collingwood clash and the traditional Dreamtime game between Richmond and Essendon.
“The number of double-headers with the VFL competition across a number of regional and metropolitan venues will allow fans a great day out at the footy witnessing the incredible talent across both competitions,” Mr Salter said.
Fans can get closer to the action in 2020 with selected VFLW matches available for livestream through the VFL app.
VFLW matches will be played at 18 different venues in 2020 from Colac Central Reserve to La Trobe University in addition to iconic venues Windy Hill, Arden Street and Victoria Park.
The 2020 VFLW fixture highlights include:
- The season will open Saturday 9th May at 11.30am between Western Bulldogs and Darebin at Victoria University Whitten Oval.
- 12 Clubs – Carlton, Casey Demons, Collingwood, Darebin Falcons, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Richmond, Southern Saints, Williamstown.
- Selected matches will be livestreamed via the VFL app.
- In a Grand Final re-match 2019 VFLW premiers Collingwood will play Western Bulldogs at Victoria University Whitten Oval on Saturday 4th July at 11.00am to headline Round 9.
- 34 VFLW games will form part of double-headers with VFL Men’s competition.
- Dreamtime Match – Richmond and Essendon in a double-header (VFL/VFLW) on Saturday 23rd May at Swinburne Centre.
- Queen’s Birthday clash – Casey Demons vs Collingwood in a double header (VFL/VFLW) in Round 5 on Sunday 7th
- Channel 7 to broadcast the VFLW Grand Final on Sunday 20th
- VFLW Finals Series to commence on Saturday 29th
- Themed Rounds will once again be a feature in season 2020, raising valuable awareness to many causes close to the VFLW Community: Sockit2 MND – Round 7, TAC Towards Zero Round – Round 11.