AFL Victoria is pleased to announce the Hard Yakka / Totally Workwear VFL Fixture for season 2020.
A total of 135 matches played at 23 different venues across the state will showcase the VFL’s most talented players, with increased AFL curtain raisers and games once again telecast on Channel 7 featured.
In the lead up to AFL matches a total of 12 curtain raisers across the MCG, Marvel Stadium and GMHBA Stadium will feature, along with 17 games telecast on Channel 7 throughout the home and away season.
After the success of eight curtain raiser games in 2019, another four have been scheduled allowing fans to arrive early and see some of the stars of the future, as well as providing great value for money for those supporters, with a shorter time gap between VFL and AFL games.
AFL Head of Talent Pathways and State League Competitions Tristan Salter said the fixture finds the right balance between showcasing the talent and standard of the league while still keeping the community connection that makes the competition so unique.
“The VFL Competition has continued to go from strength to strength, the competitiveness of season 2019 showcased the developing football talent and further embedded the competition as a genuine talent pathway.” Mr Salter said
“In constructing the fixture, we wanted to ensure there was increased curtain raisers to AFL matches, providing great exposure for the players and experience for the fans, but equally important was to ensure we continued the connection that our clubs provide to their communities.
“The spread of regional and metropolitan venues gives fans great access, and there is nothing like walking out on the ground at a quarter time break to listen to the coach address his team.”
VFL matches to be played at 23 different venues in 2020 with the newly developed MacPherson Park in Melton to play host to Coburg and Williamstown in Round 13 and MARS Stadium (Ballarat) to host Coburg & Collingwood in Round 5.
Hard Yakka / Totally Workwear will continue their naming rights partnership for season 2020.
“Hard Yakka / Totally Workwear continue to be a great partner of the league. A brand engrained in local communities; we are so pleased to continue the partnership.” Mr Salter said.
The 2020 VFL fixture highlights include:
- The season will open Friday 3rd April at 6:00pm between Collingwood & Box Hill Hawks at Olympic Park Oval.
- In round 2 – Geelong v Box Hill at the MCG, in the first curtain raiser on Easter Monday.
- In an exhibition match in round 2 Richmond play the AFL National Academy in a curtain raiser to Richmond v Adelaide at the MCG.
- In a Grand Final re-match 2019 VFL premiers Richmond will play at Williamstown in Round 5.
- Dreamtime Match – Richmond v Essendon at the Swinburne Centre in Round 8
- Themed Rounds will once again feature, raising valuable awareness to many causes close to the VFL Community – Love the Game Round – Round 5, Sock It 2 MND Round 12, TAC Towards Zero Round – Round 16
- Queen’s Birthday clash – Casey Demons vs Collingwood in Round 10
- Frankston’s first game under lights at SKYBUS Stadium in Round 11 against Essendon
- Coburg City Oval being redeveloped in 2020 therefore Coburg playing their 10 home matches between Highgate Reserve, Preston City Oval, MARS Stadium, MacPherson Park (Melton) & Avalon Airport Oval
- Richmond to play two games at Holm Park (Beaconsfield) in Round 6 against Port Melbourne & Round 18 against Williamstown
- Channel 7 to broadcast 17 matches in the H&A season as well as seven (7) finals, including the Grand Final.
- 32 VFL games that form part of double-headers with VFL Women’s fixture.
- The full VFL Women’s fixture will be announced early in the new year.
VFL Men’s Channel 7 broadcast matches for 2020
- R1 – Sandy v Rich – Sun 05/04 @ 12pm – Marvel Stadium
- R2 – Willy vs Coll – Sun 12/04 @ 2.10pm – Downer Oval
- R3 – Box Hill v Nth Blues – Sun 19/04 @ 12pm – Marvel Stadium
- R4 – Coburg v Sandy – Sunday 26/04 @ 11.45am – Highgate Reserve
- R5 – Ess v Casey – Sun 03/05 @ 12pm – MCG
- R6 – Sandy v Werr – Sun 10/05 @ 11.45am – Trevor Barker
- R8 – Coll v NMFC – Sun 24/05 @ 12pm – Marvel Stadium
- R9 – Coll v Sandy – Sun 31/05 @ 11.45AM – Victoria Park
- R10 – Casey v Coll – Sun 07/06 @ 2.10pm – Casey Fields
- R11 – PMFC v Will – Sun 14/06 @ 2.10pm – ETU Stadium
- R12 – PMFC v Coll – Sun 21/06 @ 2.10pm – ETU Stadium
- R13 – Rich v Geel – Sun 28/06 @ 11.45AM – Swinburne Centre
- R14 – Werr vs Casey – Sun 05/07 @ 11.45am – Avalon Airport Oval
- R15 – Foots vs Willy – Sun 12/07 @ 11.45am – VU Whitten Oval
- R16 – Frankston v Werr – Sun 19/07 @ 11.45am – Skybus Stadium
- R20 – Rich v Box Hill – Sun 16/08 @ 12pm – MCG
R21 – Floating fixture – Ch 7 Broadcast match TBC.
CLICK HERE to view the 2020 Hard Yakka / Totally Workwear 2020 VFL Fixture.